Rent a gite in Josselin, Morbihan Country gites in Josselin among gites in France France's gites for your holiday Rent a holiday gite Holiday gite rental Our gites are fitted to welcome disabled people , wheelchairs, open all year round with all the modern facilities . One gite in  the converted farm of the ancient priory of Sainte Croix chapel, surrounded by a shaded park
  Welcome - Our 3 gites - Prices - The gardens - History - Tourism - Access - Press - Contact

History "Josselin"

A few words of history about Sainte Croix Chapel and Priory
The history of the priory of Sainte Croix goes back to the the 11th century when Guéthenoc, founder of Josselin and its prominent castle promised to the monks of Redon to build them a monastery next to his fortress . The building work was started under his reign on the right bank of the Oust river belonging then to Vannes’ diocese. Around 1059, his son Josselin gave the covent (priory and chapel) to Redon’s abbot Pérénès as well as the land running down the river Oust plus the entire jurisdiction and revenues of several villages around Josselin.

Thanks to Josselin’s devotion, the Sainte Croix church became a burial place and with the adjunction of the farmland administered by the monks, it was a real fief, quite wealthy .
The bishop of Vannes granted Sainte Croix the spiritual jurisdiction that turned it into an independant parish .

During the XIIc, several nobles retired to Sainte Croix as monks , giving all their wealth and farmlands to the parish .

In the XIVc, the monks leaved Ste Croix but the head of the priory continued to receive the tithe from the the subjects and the lands owned .

The last prior head of Sainte Croix in 1785, claimed to earn 6500 pounds after collecting the tithe . After the Revolution, the tithe and all feudal rights being abolished, all that belonged to Sainte Croix priory and outbuildings was sold . In 1791, the priory, adjacent woodland, garden and meadows were sold to a Mr Mouel for 4225 pounds. The Sainte Croix mill was sold for 12 000 pounds to a Mr Allain . The presbytery was sold in 1794 for 700 pounds to a Mr Cottier . The church stopped being a place of worship until after the Concordat signed between the state and the Church in 1802 when it returned to the religious heritage as a simple chapel as of to date . According to the legend, it still shelters a relic of the “True Cross” that explains its name of Chapel Sainte Croix .

From Roger FREY – To find out more on Josselin and Brittany’s history :
http://www.infobretagne.com/josselin.htm

In Malensac (near Rochefort en Terre) the Prehistory Park of Brittany installed in an ancient slate explotation is a park for time travellers with 30 life-size scenes reminding us about our origins …

 

Josselin
Vue des Hébergements, locations, gîtes accessible aux fauteuils roulants  à Josselin et Tourisme en  Morbihan Bretagne

 

 

Country gites " Logis de Sainte-Croix " Gites rental in quality accommodations - Standard Clévacances - Rose-Marie et Jean-Pierre VASSAL - 5 rue de la chapelle 56120 Josselin - Morbihan - Bretagne - Tél : 33 (0)297 706 760 or Mobile phone : 06 85 24 51 20 - E-mail : vassal.logisdesaintecroix@sfr.fr

Copyright (c) 2004. Webmaster Damien Puaud
http://www.action-internet.com